If you are considering orthodontic treatment in the hopes of straightening your teeth, it is important that you get the most out of your chosen treatment. Innisfil Orthodontics is happy to provide both braces and Invisalign near you, but which option is right for you?
What is the Difference Between Invisalign and Metal Braces?
Both braces and Invisalign work towards the same goal: giving you straight teeth, an improved smile, and improved overall oral health. The key differences between the two forms of treatment are within the process of how they straighten your teeth. One treatment may be better than the other for your specific needs and preferences. When trying to decide what treatment is best for your needs, it is good to speak to an orthodontist near you about what you are looking for.
Metal Braces: These are what most people picture when they think of braces. Metal braces adhere to each tooth’s enamel, and metal wires are placed between brackets to help shift your teeth over time. The wires can sometimes be the same color as your tooth, and therefore less noticeable than the metal brackets on your teeth. If a patient wants to have some fun with their braces, they can also choose a color such as pink or green for their wires!
Invisalign: Invisalign gives patients who are looking for a more discrete way to straighten their teeth an option for aligning treatment. Invisalign uses a series of clear, custom-made aligner trays to gradually shift a patients’ teeth. Invisalign aligners are made of smooth, clear plastic, making them comfortable to wear.
Benefits of Metal Braces
- Irremovable: once fitted, your braces will stay in place, which is good for patients who worry about losing removable trays or who don’t feel they will be diligent about swapping out their trays regularly.
- Treatment time: metal braces often have a shorter treatment time than Invisalign because they are worn 24/7 until treatment is complete.
- Effectiveness: metal braces are more effective than Invisalign at treating complex cases of misalignment. If you suffer from more complicated dental issues, you may want to consider traditional metal braces.
Benefits of Invisalign
- Removable: Invisalign allows wearers to remove their trays to eat and drink, allowing patients to eat whatever they like without a fear of food getting stuck in their aligners.
- Appearance: many adults and teenagers prefer Invisalign because it uses clear trays, making for a more discrete natural look.
- Comfort: Invisalign tends to be more comfortable than metal braces because it uses smooth plastic, and no sharp wires or brackets are posing a risk of cuts to the inner soft tissues of your mouth.
Downsides of Braces and Invisalign
Metal Braces: these can be painful and more obvious in the mouth. As well, metal braces may not be a great option for individuals who regularly participate in contact sports, as the metal from braces can cause potential damage upon contact.
Invisalign: patients that have certain alignment issues may not be candidates for Invisalign. Those who elect for Invisalign must also be diligent about wearing their aligners for at least 22 hours a day for the treatment to be successful.
How to Choose?
The best way to determine which treatment is best for you is to visit an orthodontist in Innisfil. At Innisfil Orthodontics, we provide options for both traditional metal braces and Invisalign treatment near you. Please contact our clinic to book a consultation today and discover which aligning treatment is best for you!